Greece is a country to experience deeply with all five senses; a country to discover through the taste its food, the echo of its stories and myths, the aroma of the mountain air, or the salty sprinkles of the sea. And the only way to achieve all this is to spend time with the locals.
With this trip, we present a unique live-like-a-local experience where you will your days in a homestay getting acquainted with the daily rituals of life in a Greek sea-porttown, while the team leaders will introduce you not only to the place and culture, but also to some of their closest friends. After a while, you will not be a guest anymore but, instead, a “family member” or an old friend welcomed in a house that will be like home.
As the days pass, you will feel that the places you visit, no matter how beautiful they are, won’t be the highlight of your trip. Instead, you will see yourself emerging renewed through the connection with the surrounding nature, the details that will be shared, and the conversations that may last till late at night. This trip is about connecting with a part of yourself that Greece will undoubtedly bring to the surface; a quiet, fun, intense, and nourishing week for the body and soul amid the beauties of a timeless landscape. This is the reason most people visiting the country end up falling in love with it.
The highlights of this trip include:
- Strolling around the historical center of Athens and visiting some of its oldest neighborhoods
- A taste of the traditional Greek philoxenia through a homestay in a villa perched among the pine trees by the coastline of Attica.
- A day-trip to the picturesque island of Andros.
- A visit to the historical towns of Marathonas and Lavrio.
- Swimming and snorkeling in several beaches of Attica.
- Tasting traditional home-cooked food using local ingredients.
- A brief hike along the Marathonas dam and the artificial lake.
- A sunset on Cape Sounio next to the ancient Temple of Poseidon.
- Level: easy
- Activities:swimming, snorkeling / cultural sightseeing/ cultural interaction / hiking / Greek cuisine.
- Duration: 6 days
- All Rahhalah’s ground handlers and guides are locally employed ensuring more authentic experience for travelers, as well as sensitivity and understanding of the local culture and environment
- Our staff is highly experienced and has excellent knowledge, committed to provide exceptional service at all times.
We run a low impact operation and we leave no traces behind, contributing to the efforts of protection of the local land, its people and culture.
We are committed to employing local people to the maximum extent possible. We pay our staff well and, just as important, we provide them with periodical training. In addition, we emphasize the use of local products to offer the maximum economic benefits to the local communities.
As you all know 1% of our revenue go back to a local cause and Rahhalah directly takes care of that. This is our pay-back promise.
Konstantina is our Greek partner in Rahhalah and the Chief Initiator – Transformational Journeys. An author and a traveler, she leads a few trips per year in her beloved homeland. She has a deep knowledge of the regional history and the connections that bond Europe with the Middle East, and she is keen to share her understandings with you.
Eleni is a dentist with a practice that extends over 30 years. Hosting guests has been her passion, and, in the past, she was engaged in planning and leading boutique experiences for small groups in the island of Mytilini (Lesvos). She is an excellent cook and has offered cooking classes to several of those admiring her culinary skills.
Day 1 (Friday, July 20): Arrival Athens– Rafina(D)
You will be picked up from the airport and transferred to the home-stay, a villa perched by the sea-side of Rafina, one of the small towns of Attica.
Depending on your arrival time, you may have the opportunity to go for a quick swim or just relax at the veranda, under the shade of the pine trees.
In the evening, you will enjoy a home-cooked dinner. Our host is an excellent cook and she would be glad to share some of her culinary secrets with you. Feel free to delve into the beauty of the Greek cuisine!
Before resting for the day, you may choose to stroll by the sea side either in Rafina or the nearby town ofArtemida, enjoying the mesmerizing view of the passing boats or the last surfers of the day.
Day 2 (Saturday, Jul 21): Rafina - Athens (B, L, D)
You will enjoy breakfast at the veranda or in the yard and then you will set off to explore the beaches of Eastern Attica.
Upon your return home, you will be welcomed by the culinary surprises that Mme Eleni will have prepared for you depending on the inspiration of the day, and, in the early afternoon hours, you will set off for a visit to the historical center of Athens.
There, you will ramble around the picturesque alleys, observing the kaleidoscopic co-existence of the Ancient Greek, Roman, Byzantine, Ottoman, and modern Greek eras. It is an excellent opportunity to hone your photographic skills, experimenting with colors, angles, and meanings.
You will pass through the Anafiotika neighborhood – fondly referred to as “an island within a city” – and you will enjoy the sunset as well as a panoramic view of Athens from the Areopagus Rock. You will finish your day in the oldest Plaka tavern to dine on traditional local delicacies while singing and dancing – the Greek way.
Day 3 (Sunday, July 22): Marathonas / NeaMakri(B, L, D)
After breakfast, you will set off to the town of Marathonas, the site of one of the most important battles in the Greek and European history and the starting point of the Marathon races. You will learn the symbolism that lies behind the famous running events and you will visit the small museum that has been erected there.
For lunch, you will enjoy a picnic under the trees, next to an old Byzantine chapel that remains so beautifully hidden that you will feel you have just discovered it yourselves.
Then you will walk (a brief, 40-min hike) next to the artificial lake that has been developed in the area, and you will relax at the café of the Marathonas dam.
Back to the house in Rafina, you will choose between resting at the veranda or going for a swim before leaving for the evening to enjoy a traditional dinner in a tavern of NeaMakri. There is a cute little path next to the beach that leads to a tiny church – the perfect place for an evening promenade before or after dinner.
Day 4 (Monday, July 23): Andros island (B, L, D)
Early in the morning, you will take the ferry to the island of Andros – one of the most beautiful islands of Greece and home (once upon a time) to some of the strongest shipping dynasties of the country.
You will spend the entire day there, visiting the beautiful Chora (main town of the island) and swimming in some of its beaches, before returning back to Rafina with the latest ferry.
Day 5 (Tuesday, July 24): Lavrio / Cape Sounio / Athenian Riviera (B, L ,D)
After breakfast, you will head to Lavrio, a coastal city whose mines of silver contributed significantly to the wealth of the ancient city of Athens and which today remains an unknown treasure to most. You will enjoy a brief coffee break by the port before heading to the beach of PalaiaFokaia for a swim.
You will head for a late lunch to one of the most famous – and most hidden – fish taverns of Attica, and then you will be guided to Cape Sounio and the Temple of Poseidon for what is believed to be one of the best sunset spots in the country.
You will return home by the coastal road of the Athenian Riviera, maybe stopping in Flisvos or Mikrolimano, for a last evening view of the Mediterranean.
Day 6 (Wednesday, July 25): Departure (B - L) – optional day
Depending on your departure times, you can choose to enjoy a last dive in the sea or head to Athens on your own for some last-minute shopping. Your hosts will be glad to give you alternative options based on your preferences and available time.
Even though this is an optional day, Mme Eleni will prepare a light lunch for those who will still be in Rafina in the early afternoon hours.
per person in a group of 6. Double occupancy.
20th July 2018
- This cost is based on Double Occupancy.
- This rate is valid forJuly 2018
- All services stipulated above are subject to availability at the time of booking / reservation. All prices are subject to change.
- This includes:
- Homestay in Rafina for 5 nights (shared rooms – some double beds will need to be shared)
- Meals as indicated B, L, D In the house, there will be plenty of food for snacks as well.
- Transportation from and to the airport
- Transportations within the country as per the itinerary above
- Ferry ticket to Andros
- Entrance tickets wherever needed as per the itinerary above
- The presence of Rahhalah partner and Chief Initiator Transformational Journeys, Konstantina Sakellariou
- The presence of Eleni Gavriilidou who opens her house for us and shares her local expertise.
- International flights
- Visa fees
- Travel Insurance
- Single Supplement
- Personal gear
- Meals not mentioned above
- Beveragesand coffee breaks outside the house
- Personal expenses
- Be prepared for the unexpected. At any moment, based on a whim or a specific request from the group, we may decide to follow the untrodden path, exploring an area not included in the itinerary. The path will unfold as we create it ourselves and this is what makes every journey unique and exclusive.
- We reserve the right to alter the itinerary depending on the weather conditions or other unforeseeable factors that may negatively affect the traveling experience.